Monday 22 December 2008

the things i have particularly liked this year



I haven't written anything for a very long time. For this I have no excuse, other than a very busy spell at work and the fact that it doesn't matter to anyone at all. I did start a couple of abortive posts, only to be waylaid or think better of it.

Another reason for the wait, beyond my lassitude, has been my utterly pointless worrying and wrangling over what my albums and songs of the year and all that guff would be.

Before I get cracking, a few quick events to recount/report. Currently back on track with work, following a couple of months of pretty prevalent ennui. Apparently, the reason I don't get to do more is that my boss worries I'll get poached. It's hard to know how to react to that, but I suppose it is nice to hear. I can't help but like the man- he once ordered a finger bowl so that he could eat his salad with his hands in a posh restaurant.



Also, on a less jolly tip, I got jumped by a couple of hoodlums the other day and had my Dj bag stolen. Goodbye to a lifetime's worth of collecting. One interesting factor in this has been aggregating where individual records rank in the order of replacement priority. First on my list is 'Discography', by the Pet Shop Boys, which I didn't really see coming. It also seems that my Space obsession was more than a fad. As this video illustrates, they are bloody wick, and Daft Punk owe their career to them.




I am also mourning Dan Deacon's Spiderman of the Rings a great deal, and Sébastien Tellier's Sexuality, but more for the objects than the music.

So, rather than writing one very long post about my favourite things from the last year, I think I'll take them on in dribs and drabs. Right now, I'm unsure what format the revelation of this stuff will take. I might do the albums one by one, or in categories, or a song and an album at a time or something. Trial and error, for now, will have to be my method. I think i will probably do a separate section for Scandinavian stuff, as a lot of what I like has come from that region this year. There again, perhaps i won't be bovved.


FYI, the bits and pieces that come out of this are likely to overlook some of my favourites, as i have no music in Brighton with me to spark my memory, and no ipod to tell me which have been played the most. Also, I will be writing about personal favourites of mine. I don't necessarily think that they are objectively the best, but they are fucking good and if you don't agree then nevermind, that's your prerogative. As much as any other reason, I bother writng this as a chance to flag up things i think are worthy of noticing.


I'll start the rundown (of sorts) next time I'm at the computer. For now, be well!



No comments: